Last revised 11th July 2023.
Data and regulation are evolving rapidly, so we will update this policy from time to time. We encourage you to check it for changes.
What principles guide us?
- We insure businesses
Most of the data we use is business data, not personal data
- We use and store as little data as possible
We only process data that we need to perform our core service of providing insurance to businesses. Where practical we store only the results of analysis, rather than the data that the analysis is based on.
- We comply with UK and EU data regulation
We aim to be easy to deal with if you have any questions or complaints about your data.
Why do we use this data?
To Serve our customers and potential new customers:
- To save them money
We use data to identify businesses that we believe are well-managed. We believe that such businesses should pay less for their insurance
- To save them time
We use data to replace some of the typically long question-set that insurers ask small businesses
- To evolve our products and service
We hold data on our customers in order to provide their insurance.
We hold data on businesses that we don’t insure under the ‘Legitimate Interest’ provision of GDPR as we believe that our service could bring benefits - cost, cover and service -to them. Our customer satisfaction score is currently 5/5
What data do we use?
Data that gives us an insight to businesses, such as:
- Their location
- Their trade
- Any relevant professional assessments of qualifications
- What a business says about itself on its website
- Ratings from customers
What personal data do we use?
- Email addresses that contain names, for example [email protected]
- Answers to questions about people, such as ‘Has any member or your management team been refused insurance?’
- Text that may include personal data, such as a customer review that names someone.
- Cookies (when consent is given) from PCs or phones that are owned personally and not by a business.
- We also record phone calls (as a record of what you have told us)
Not all types personal data used in our insurance decisions. For example:
- we don’t use names
We may know a business owner’s name via their email, but we do not base decisions on their name. And a name encountered on a website would not be used in any way
- we do use information on adverse insurance history
Such as being refused insurance by another supplier. In this case, we will talk to you to find out more before we issue a formal quote
Where do we source our data?
- From companies that sell business data – only those that comply with UK and EU data regulations
- From public web sources, including the websites of businesses that we could insure, customer reviews, and public sector APIs
- From interactions with our website and team
We will be happy to help with any of these requests:
- Do we hold personal data on you?
- Provide you with this data
- Correct any inaccuracies
- Discuss with you how your data has been used as part of our process to decide the cost of a policy we offer to a business (assuming it has been used in this way)
- Delete your data (subject to us not being prevented from doing so for regulatory reasons)
- Stop sending marketing to you (we include unsubscribe options in all our marketing)
To make a request, ask questions about our use of data, or make a complaint please write to our Data Protection Officer at Expression Insurance, Nile House, Nile Street, Brighton, BN1 1HW or email [email protected]
If you’re not satisfied with our response to your request, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
We share data with our underwriting partners.
We may occasionally share data with other insurance companies.
Transfer to other countries
We use Cloud storage that holds data in the UK and the EU
We may use Cloud solutions that hold data in other countries. We will always take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is protected.
How long do we keep data for?
We will keep customers' data, including a record of any claims made, for as long as they are customers, and for ten years once they have left us.
If you ask for a quote, we will retain the information for one year.
Recordings of phone call are deleted after one year.
We keep the data of businesses that we believe may benefit from working with us, this will be refreshed for relevance on a rolling basis.
Expression Insurance Services
Nile House, Nile Street, Brighton, BN1 1HW
Authorised and Regulated by the FCA. Registration No. 786693
What are cookies
For more general information on cookies, please read "What Are Cookies".
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of this site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
The Cookies we set
Account related cookies
Login related cookies
Site preferences cookies
In order to provide you with a great experience on this site we provide the functionality to set your preferences for how this site runs when you use it. In order to remember your preferences, we need to set cookies so that this information can be called whenever you interact with a page.
Third Party Cookies
- This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content.
- For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
Hopefully that has clarified things for you. We recommend you leave cookies enabled but if you need more information then please contact us at [email protected]